Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Missing in Action! Hospital Stay!

Husband while waiting for the doctor to come for me.

Husband took the gurney they wanted for me
I couldn't lay on the gurney as it caused more excruciating pain. I let him have it.
The nurse that came around bringing a warm blanket for me. She thought would be funny to place one over him too. She covered him from head to toe with the blanket, even over
the face. He never reacted, never moved. Haha! She took it from his face and he stayed asleep for a while until the doctors came around for me. 

Finally after x-rays, and CT scan they decided best to admit me to the hospital to see if they could get to the source of my pain and why I am losing function in my right leg.  Mind you all this started from doing aquatic physical therapy. Therapy is to help us to improve our lives make us healthier. Although with me the doctor not being familiar with my disease thought that physical therapy would be too dangerous because of the weight bearing exercises that would be expected of me; having Osteogenesis Imperfecta.  The doctor thought aquatic therapy would be better as the buoyancy would be better for my bones that it would relieve the pressure and I could exercise and improve. 

As I found out from friends and through research that Aquatic therapy is not a good idea for us as our bones can move and not go back into the original place they were. After two sessions the first one lasted less than 15 minutes in the water. The second not much longer than that. I could hardly get out on my own to the car to meet my husband. The doctor told us that aquatic therapy is very dangerous for those of us with Osteogenesis because of the resistance on the bones and muscles in the water. This can cause compression fractures, stress fractures, and edema within the bone.

Here I am in my room. They would not let me lay flat in my bed. I couldn't because of the pain.

The IV - they actually got me on the first try. 
There are 5 different medical bracelets on my wrist.

I realize these leg wraps are to prevent clots, but I call them
the bed tethers - they don't want you to escape, so when you 
try these will have a wait a minute hose attached to them.

The view from my room.

This was my breakfast the first day that I was there.


The walker that you see. That was my main transportation other than the wheelchair.
They liked me in the chair more than using the walker because I was so unsteady.
These are just a few of the medications they currently have me on. 
There are three of them not in this photo after I looked at them.


This all because of Aquatic Therapy. I was doing well prior to starting the therapy. You'd think that doing the therapy would be the better of the moves to do as it would better myself and strengthen me to continue doing well. Now, it's even more difficult as I cannot get around without a walker or wheelchair. I knew with the OI that those two medical assistant items would be part of my daily life, but not this soon.

This has been difficult for my family because we are a single income family due to the challenges that I face daily and many employers while they are not to ask "previous conditions", they tell you-you are a high liability risk then will not hire you. This makes things difficult, but we trust the LORD to provide and HE has provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you do it? That is the everlasting question....

Good Afternoon Everyone! Hope you're all having a great day. I am here having a great day in spite of the ups and downs of our ser...